At the 51st annual meeting of the Society of Nuclear Medicine (SNM), June 23 - 26, in Philadelphia, Nanci Burchell, section chief of nuclear medicine at Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., was installed as president of the Society of Nuclear Medicine Technologist Section (SNMTS). She will serve as president through June 2005.
Burchell holds a professional certification as a nuclear medicine technologist from both the Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board and the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists. Burchell has served in numerous volunteer offices within the Technologist Section and as executive director of the Missouri Valley Chapter of the SNM. Burchell was invested as a fellow of the SNMTS in 2000.
Burchell has identified five priorities for her tenure:
- Development of a start-up program for an advanced practice educational model.
- Development of a new, forward-looking educational model for nuclear medicine professionals.
- Development of a distance-learning PET/CT didactic training program.
- Ongoing advocacy efforts on behalf of technologists.
- Professional development to encourage future leaders.