ECRI, a non-profit health services research agency, announces its launch of a web-based clearinghouse for information on medical device-related disaster relief for healthcare facilities hit hard by Katrina. The Katrina Medical Technology Information Clearinghouse is accessible from ECRI's home page at www.ecri.org.
ECRI's clearinghouse provides a central resource that healthcare facilities can turn to for information related to medical devices, supplies, and services being offered by manufacturers worldwide. Also, ECRI has provided a number of its resources, including company directories and guidance articles on emergency preparedness.
ECRI is encouraging medical-device-related companies to continue to submit the following information for the clearinghouse:
- Details about special donation, rental, or loaner programs for medical devices;
- Instructions on how affected healthcare facilities can receive expedited service
- E-mail addresses, telephone numbers, or web sites for disaster-relief-related information and help;
- Cleaning and repair instructions for water-damaged products;
- Special requirements for devices operated from backup generators; and
- Any other information that may help in the relief effort
Responses should be sent by e-mail to email@example.com. Documents may be provided; however, ECRI prefers direct links to web-based resources, along with a brief description of the products and services provided.