Healthcare informatics and services provider McKesson spotlighted its new Horizon Managed Services offering as well as extensions to its Horizon clinical suite at the 2008 HIMSS conference in Orlando, Fla.
The Atlanta-based firm unveiled Patient Care Advantage for its Horizon Clinicals suite during the show. Patient Care Advantage delivers decision support to help clinicians manage complexity and achieve measurably better outcomes for patients—including tools to support the medication reconciliation process, according to the company.
McKesson said its Patient Care Advantage establishes Horizon suite as an integrated solution to unify medical and interdisciplinary care plans, driving evidence-based practice across all members of a care team.
The service incorporates the new Care Team release with more than 8,000 new features and advanced clinical workflow support enabled by an expanded Horizon Architecture, McKesson said.
The firm also introduced Horizon Managed Services — a continuum of services designed to help hospitals realize and accelerate the value from their healthcare IT investments. These capabilities include expertise for system design through implementation, ongoing system support, connectivity and remote hosting.
Horizon Managed Services enables organizations to share responsibility for their IT projects with McKesson so they can redeploy internal resources to focus on their core competency of care delivery. The newly released continuum of managed services includes:
- Remote hosting with database and security management, disaster recovery and help desk services. Remote hosting services help organizations avoid the upfront capital costs and ongoing maintenance of large-scale systems and provide technical processing for a set monthly fee.
- Accelerator services designed to speed up implementation and upgrade work. A health system on a tight roadmap with limited resources can benefit from a project-based engagement designed to gain speed and ensure success.
- Ongoing operational support that features continuous training, rollout and user support. Customers can utilize McKesson’s Center of Excellence to obtain trained resources and access to best practices. Hospitals undertaking broad-based deployment efforts, such as computerized physician order entry (CPOE), may opt for an ongoing process re-engineering engagement.
The company also highlighted its RelayHealth division’s product line up at HIMSS.
RelayHealth’s Results Distribution Service electronically connects hospital lab, pathology and radiology results to a physician’s office via the web or directly to an EHR. Physicians additionally may take action with the results by forwarding to the patient’s PHR or to collaborate with other physicians through secure online communications.
CareInteract, Transfer Navigator and Multi-Media Patient Guides add to RelayHealth’s comprehensive hospital-patient connectivity platform:
- CareInteract combines the familiarity of a touch-tone phone with the efficient technology of a voice browser.
- Transfer Navigator coordinates all details of a patient transfer from destination to mode of transfer, documenting communications, workflow and safety requirements.
- Multi-Media Patient Guides help providers educate their patients and set proper expectations.