ONC offers $150K to solve ophthalmology interoperability woes
ONC’s Ocular Imaging Challenge is a call to developers to create an application that improves interoperability among office-based ophthalmic measurement devices, imaging devices and EHRs. Specifically, ONC expects submitted applications to be able to:
- Convert output from legacy ophthalmic imaging and measurement devices from proprietary formats to vendor-neutral standards;
- Archive data from multiple devices;
- Display images along with some basic functionality for adjusting viewing parameters such as brightness, contrast and more;
- Integrate with existing EHRs through methods such as “single sign-on;” and
- Leverage and extend Nationwide Health Information Network standards where applicable.
A total of $150,000 in prizes will be awarded, with the first place submission earning $100,000 plus an opportunity for conference exhibition. Second and third places will receive $35,000 and $15,000, respectively.
The submission period has started and will last until Nov. 9. The evaluation process will last from Nov. 16 – 20, and winners will be notified on Nov. 27. Winners will be publically announced on Jan. 4, 2013.
Click here for more information on eligibility and submission requirements.