Joint Commission Resources (JCR) yesterday announced the availability of a publication designed as a useful guide in the planning of healthcare facilities, according to a release.
Planning, Design, and Construction of Health Care Facilities addresses the challenges, compliance issues, and need for a holistic approach to the planning, design, and construction of healthcare facilities through tips, tools, strategies, and case studies. Specific topics includes:
- Considerations for planning, such as assessing the community’s needs, designing to maximize staff efficiency, planning for new technology, working to promote environmentally friendly facilities, and incorporating healing designs;
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) requirements for a pre-construction risk assessment;
- The steps in formal master planning, building the design/construction team and creating workable schedules;
- Managing the nuts and bolts of the actual construction process, with an emphasis on JCAHO requirements and how to successfully communicate these requirements to contractors;
- Considerations for post-construction commissioning, including what should be tested and by whom; and
- Special considerations for the design of laboratories and pharmacies.
JCR is a JCAHO affiliate. For more information visit: www.jcrinc.com